Gas safety

Protecting your family against carbon monoxide is our top priority

What's carbon monoxide?

It’s a poisonous gas that you can’t see, smell or taste – you might not know it’s there

Carbon monoxide is released when faulty appliances start leaking. Low exposure to the gas can cause long-term damage, and high levels of exposure can be fatal. Every year, around 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning – and many more fall sick.

To find out more about carbon monoxide, visit Be Alarmed.

Source: Gas Safe and COCAA

What are the symptoms?

They’re similar to the flu: headaches, nausea, dizziness and feeling generally lethargic

So look out for cold-like symptoms that seem to get better when you leave the area.

If you’re worried about carbon monoxide poisoning, think about these things:

  • Is more than one person in the house affected?
  • Do the symptoms stop when you leave the house (like when you’re on holiday), but start again when you come back?
  • Do you notice the symptoms when you use a fuel-burning appliance?
  • Do they get worse in winter, when you’ve got the heating on?

If you think you or someone in your family might have carbon monoxide poisoning, get in touch with your doctor immediately.

How do you protect your home against carbon monoxide?

To keep your home safe, you need to get your gas appliances checked once a year and install a carbon monoxide alarm

Our carbon monoxide alarm is:

  • Wireless, so you can fit it anywhere in your home.
  • Easy to install.
  • Guaranteed for seven years – batteries, too.
  • Fuss-free. Once it’s in, you don’t need to do anything to maintain it.
  • £29.99 (including VAT).

If you’re a HomeCare customer, we’ll install it for you too. Just ask your engineer during your next annual service.

Call us on 0800 077 4472 to order yours.

Our lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm. Calls are free from mobiles and landlines. We record calls to help improve our service to you.

How can I tell if my gas appliance is leaking carbon monoxide?

  • Look for stains, soot or discolouration on (or around) your boiler, fire or water heater.
  • Make sure there are no blockages in your chimney or flue.
  • Keep the air vents in your doors, walls and windows clear.
  • Check the pilot light on your boiler (and any other gas flames that normally burn blue). If the flame is yellow or orange, you might have a carbon monoxide leak.

I rent my home. Who should check my gas appliances?

If you rent your property, it’s your landlord’s responsibility to:

  • Make sure any gas appliances and installation pipework they own are working safely.
  • Arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer (like British Gas) to fix any faulty appliances.
  • Arrange annual safety checks on the gas appliances they own.
  • Keep a record of the safety checks and give you a copy.

Some of our insurance packages for landlords come with a Gas Safety Check included.

Who should I contact if I think I have a leak?

These organisations can help if you think you have a carbon monoxide leak

Gas Emergency Services

0800 111 999

(Emergencies only)

Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – opening hours could be subject to change. Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

Health and Safety Executive

0800 300 363

(Advice line)

Lines are open Monday to Thursday, 9am - 5.30pm, and Fridays, 9am - 5pm. Opening hours could be subject to change. Limited service applies on public holidays. Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

Gas Safe Register

0800 408 5500

(Information line)

Lines are open Monday to Thursday, 9am-5.30pm, and Fridays, 9am-5pm. Opening hours could be subject to change. Limited service applies on public holidays. Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

If your home has been affected by a carbon monoxide leak, you’re not alone. These organisations support victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness - Carbon Monoxide Awareness gives people a greater understanding of Carbon Monoxide and other toxic gases.

Dominic Rodgers Trust - Stacey Rodger’s son Dominic died from carbon monoxide poisoning in his bedroom. Now she works to raise awareness of how dangerous the gas can be. 

COCAA - The Carbon Monoxide Consumer Awareness Alliance is made up of the major energy companies, support charities and manufacturers of carbon monoxide alarms.